January 11, 2017

How to Code

I remember taking an introductory computer course in high school, where we used punch cards to write programs. The commands and numbers were a complete mystery to me back then. They still are to some degree. So when I found these books in the library, I thought they might help. Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience to go through every exercise. While I got the sense that coding has gotten easier, the sheer number of steps is still very daunting to me. I suspect, however, that kids nowadays are a lot smarter and can learn about coding with a minimum of effort. But if they get stuck, they can refer to these books for more clarity. I liked their clean layouts, helpful diagrams, and clear instructions. Both books use Scratch as the programming language.


For ages 8 and up:

How to Code in 10 Easy Lessonsby Sean McManus




For ages 12 and up:

Adventures in Coding, by Eva Holland and Chris Minnick



No comments: